FAQ for the High Commission in Abuja, Nigeria

How do I register for Trinidad and Tobago citizenship?

    A child born outside of Trinidad and Tobago after 1st August, 1976 becomes a Trinidad and Tobago citizen if at birth, either parent is a Trinidad and Tobago citizen otherwise than by descent.

    A person born (out of wedlock) outside of Trinidad and Tobago after 30th August, 1962 whose mother was a Trinidad and Tobago citizen otherwise than by descent shall become a Trinidad and Tobago citizen.

    A person being a former citizen of Trinidad and Tobago by birth/descent, having voluntarily acquired the citizenship of another country after 29 July, 1988 does not lose his Trinidad and Tobago citizenship. If he became a citizen of another country before 29 July, 1988 voluntarily, he has to apply to have his Trinidad and Tobago citizenship restored.

How can I restore my Trinidad and Tobago citizenship?

    A former citizen of Trinidad and Tobago by birth or by descent having renounced citizenship of Trinidad and Tobago in order to acquire citizenship of another country may make an application to have citizenship restored to him/her.

    The Minister of National Security shall by the issuance of a Certificate of Restoration of citizenship restore citizenship to the former citizen.

    A citizen of Trinidad and Tobago by birth or by descent who acquires citizenship of another country after July 29 1988, shall not lose his/her citizenship of Trinidad and Tobago.

    The Child of a former citizen, whose citizenship is restored, automatically acquires citizenship by descent. No separate application or action is required in respect of the child.

    Citizenship is restored retroactively to the date of renouncement.

    Procedures for applying

    1. The applicant must provide:

        i. Three (3) completed copies of Form 16

        ii. Four (4) identical passport size photographs

        iii. A Police Certificate of Character

        iv. Completed Medical Forms 40 and 40 (a)

        v. Original Trinidad and Tobago birth certificate (when birth certificates are used Affidavits will be required for clarification if needed for the names of the birth certificates). A marriage certificate will be required for the verification of the change of name from one’s maiden name to the married surname.

        vi. Evidence of the date of acquisition of citizenship of the country of present nationality (Original must be seen).

    2. The application forms and one photograph must be NOTARIZED.

    3. Nigerian passport (if available)

    4. The sum of $15.00 (2000 fee schedule) must be paid on submission of the application form.

    5. The balance of $153.00 (2000 fee schedule) must be paid on the collection of the Certificate of Restoration of Citizenship.

    All restoration of citizenship applications should be forwarded to the High Commission for processing. Application forms maybe obtained from the Trinidad and Tobago mission/office in Nigeria.

Can I get a representative of the High Commission to witness a legal document?

    Diplomatic Staff at the High Commission are able to witness Affidavits, Affirmations, Statutory Declarations and other documents for use under Trinidad and Tobago law. There are varying fees for this service.

    In addition to High Commission Diplomatic Staff the following persons may take statutory declarations in Nigeria for use in Trinidad and Tobago:

        Commissioner of Oaths
        Notaries Public
        Justices of the Peace
        Persons authorised by Nigerian law to administer oaths for the purpose of judicial proceedings

    In cases where there is any doubt over the form or stature of the witnessing required, this should be checked with the High Commission.

Can I work in Trinidad and Tobago?

    A non - national may enter Trinidad & Tobago without a work permit to engage in a legitimate profession, trade or occupation for a single period not exceeding thirty (30) days in every twelve consecutive months. Entry is on the basis of a "certificate" stamped in the passport allowing entry for a specified period.

    If a person wishes to stay in Trinidad for a period exceeding thirty (30) days to engage in a legitimate profession, then s/he must obtain a work permit, which must be sought by the prospective employer on the non-nationals behalf, which is issued for a fixed period.

    Generally, work permits will not be granted to non-residents unless there are no locals who are capable of filling the specified post. Work permits are issued for a specific time frame during which it is expected that a local resident will be trained to assume the post held by a foreign employee.

Am I entitled to a Trinidad & Tobago/Nigeria pension?

    An Agreement on Social Security between Trinidad and Tobago and Nigerian was signed on 9 April 1997 and came into force on 1 July 1999.

    This Agreement co-ordinates the operation of the Nigerian and Trinidad and Tobago programmes which protect individuals in the event of old age, retirement, disability or death. It has two basic objectives:

        to ease or eliminate restrictions on the payment of social security benefits abroad;
        to assist migrants in qualifying for benefits based on the period they have lived or worked in each country.

    The Nigerian benefits included in the Agreement are those paid under the Old Age Security program and the Nigeria Pension Plan.

    The Trinidad and Tobago benefits included in the Agreement are the super-annulations, invalids, widows and orphans, and domestic purposes benefits paid to widowers and orphans benefits payable under the Trinidad & Tobago National Insurance scheme.

Do I need to take out medical insurance when I go to Trinidad and Tobago?

    Visitors to Trinidad and Tobago must pay their own medical and associated costs, unless they are the victim of an accident.

    Trinidad and Tobago’s universal health coverage system provides 24-hour, basic and emergency health coverage to all nationals and visitors to Trinidad and Tobago who are injured as the result of an accident, medical misadventure or certain types of behaviour for which criminal charges could be laid. The public health system is buttressed by a number of smaller private health institutions, which provide a variety of basic and advanced health care services on a “pay as you go basis” for private medical insurance subscribers.

    As such, visitors to Trinidad and Tobago may wish to consider taking out, travel and medical insurance to ensure that all costs associated with injury, medical treatment or other losses associated with an unforeseen injury (For example, loss of money if you have to cut your visit short, or income replacement if you are unable to return to paid employment as a result of your accident) can be adequately met.

Can I bring my cat or dog to Trinidad and Tobago?

    Dogs and cats may be imported from the following countries without recourse to Quarantine:

    Anguilla, Antigua, Australia, Barbados, Great Britain, Jamaica, Northern Ireland, St. Kitts-Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and Republic of Ireland.

    Animals from countries not listed above must undergo a period of six (6) months quarantine in the Government owned dog and Cat Quarantine Station prior to their release.

    Application for quarantine space must be made in advance and the relevant import permit will only be issued when space becomes available. A fee of TT$5.00 (2000 rates) per day (exclusive of food) will be charged for each dog/cat on admission to the quarantine station.

    Applications for Quarantine space must be submitted in writing to:

    The Chief Veterinary Officer
    Animal Health Sub-Division
    Ministry of Agriculture Land and Marine Resources
    St. Clair Port of Spain
    Trinidad W.I.

    Tel: 1 868 622 1221 to 1225 Ext.256 or 226

    On arrival the animal must:

        Be confined in an escape-proof cage;
        In the case of a dog, be provided with collar and leash; and
        Be accompanied by its entry permit.

    The application letter should contain the following essential information:

        Name of importer
        Address in Trinidad and Tobago
        Telephone number in Trinidad and Tobago
        Number of animals
        Expected date of arrival

    Permits can be mailed to the importer in a foreign country.

    The dog(s)/cat(s) must be accompanied by a Health Certificate attesting to the fact that the conditions as elaborated in the Import Permit (good health and free from symptoms of infectious and contagious diseases) have been fully satisfied. The certificate shall be completed by a Veterinarian who is a full time salaried employee of the National Government of the country.

    Originals of the Health Certificate and Import Permit must be presented to the Inspector at the time of arrival of the animals at the Port of Entry.

    The Inspector (veterinary Officer, St. George) c/o Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, Telephone number 1 868 662-5678/5986 must be given a clear 24-48 hours notice of the animal(s) time of arrival to make arrangements for the hand-over of the animal at the port of Entry.

    The dog(s)/cat(s) must be presented for detention during the period specified as kennel accommodation can only be guaranteed during the period.

    The owner agrees, by signature, at the commencement of the quarantine period, to the rules etc., of the Quarantine Station.