Getting Married

There are four kinds of marriages recognised in Trinidad and Tobago:

• Civil Marriage

• Hindu Marriage

• Muslim Marriage

• Orisa Marriage

Civil, Muslim and Orisa marriages must be performed by a licensed Marriage Officer. Please contact the Registrar General for information on Muslim, Hindu and Orisa marriages at::

You must be 18 years of age to marry in Trinidad and Tobago. Additional information can be obtained from the Miscellaneous Provisions (Marriage) Act, No.8 of 2017.

Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage (Certificate of Fact)

A Certificate of Non Impediment (Fact) is a document, which states the marital status of a person, married in Trinidad and Tobago. It is normally required by foreign governments who require proof that the foreigner is not married in his/her country. 

The document requires a search to be conducted by the Registrar General’s Department, Ministry of Legal Affairs in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. Nationals can write to Trinidad and Tobago Overseas Missions to give permission for this search to be done.

In some cases, foreign governments require the placement of the Apostille Stamp to legalize the certificate for use in their country. An apostille stamp legally certifies a document for use in any country that has signed the Hague Apostille Convention. Please consult with the Government officials of the country in which the Certificate is to be used to ascertain whether this is required. 

Foreign nationals who wish to get married in Trinidad and Tobago

When either or both parties to the marriage are not citizens of Trinidad and Tobago, they should contact the Registrar General's Office before giving Notice of Marriage.


Getting married in Trinidad and Tobago or to a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago gives no automatic right to remain or reside in the country.


Where can I find more information?

For more information please contact: 

Registrar General’s Department
Ministry of the Attorney General and Legal Affairs (AGLA) Tower 
Corner London and Richmond Streets
Port of Spain

Tel: (868) 223-2452

Registrar General’s Department
Caroline Building No.2 
#11 Hamilton Street 
Scarborough, Tobago
Tel: (868) 639-3210